Doctor of Chiropractic - Sports EmphasisPage Menu
How to get started
Grow your skills in sports injury management and prepare for a career working with athletes
Would you like to specialize in extremity management and set yourself apart from your colleagues in the treatment of athletes? As part of your Doctor of Chiropractic degree at Northwestern, you can pursue our Sports Emphasis and receive the training you need to provide this level of care.
Why pursue sports chiropractic?
- Higher demand for chiropractors who can treat high-performing and professional athletes
- Aging population will need injury prevention and extremity care
- More kids and young adults pursuing high school and college sports means a greater need for injury prevention and pain management
Dr. Tim Stark explains the Doctor of Chiropractic - Sports Emphasis.
Train with the experts. Practice your skills by treating world-class athletes.
During your internship as part of the Sports Emphasis, you will learn alongside Dr. Tim Stark, director of the Human Performance Center and International Sports Chiropractic Federation (FICS) Education Chair. Gain valuable experience as you study under the accomplished fellows in the Human Performance Center while working with high school athletes and high-performance teams like the Minnesota Vixen, Minnesota Freeze, USA Tug of War, NFL alumni and Minnesota Alliance Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Crossfit.
Potential career paths
- Work with Olympic athletes in preparation for and during the Games
- Work with members of professional sports teams such as the NFL
- Travel to international sporting events and provide care to athletes
- Start your own chiropractic clinic that specializes in sports injury management
- Join an integrated care clinic that focuses on sports care
Benefits of the Doctor of Chiropractic - Sports Emphasis
- Gain a comprehensive education on advanced imaging and head injuries in sports so you can treat all levels of athletes
- Set yourself apart from your chiropractic colleagues and give yourself the option of offering specialized sports care, with the credential to back it up
- Receive advanced standing in several nationally and internationally recognized associations, including:
- The International Sports Chiropractic Certificate (ICCSP), offered by The International Federation of Sports Chiropractic (Federation Internationale de Chiropractic du Sport – FICS)
- The Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician® (CCSP) credential
Course Requirements and Curriculum Overview
The Doctor of Chiropractic - Sports Emphasis offers three levels of completion:
- Completion of all sports emphasis electives
- Short internship
- Capstone project such as a research poster or publishable paper
Depending on which level you choose, you will receive a transcript and diploma that reflect this.
Questions? We're here to help!
For more information about the Doctor of Chiropractic - Sports Emphasis, please contact: